Antimicrobial Stewardship and Shorter Antibiotic Duration (November 2023)
From Lily Warden
The Virginia Infection Prevention Training Center’s webinar on Antimicrobial Stewardship and Shorter Antibiotic Duration is presented by Dr. Brad Spellberg, Chief Medical Officer of Los Angeles General Medical Center. This webinar discusses the discusses the history, pros and cons, and appropriate uses of short-course antibiotics.
Speaker: Brad Spellberg, MD
Overall Learning Objectives
- The historical aspects of long vs. short antimicrobial courses for the treatment of infectious syndromes.
- The "Shorter is Better" mantra.
- Key studies in recent literature that favor shorter antimicrobial durations for the treatment of infectious syndromes along with the exceptions.
- Potential risks and benefits of shorter antimicrobial durations to the hospital at large.
- The ways to implement (opportunities and obstacles) shorter antimicrobial durations by antimicrobial stewardship programs in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing Education (CE) credit is available for this webinar. CE credit is available from November 17, 2023 to November 17, 2026. Once viewed, please visit the VCU Continuing Medical Education activity page to obtain your credit.