Infection Prevention & Control Strategies in Pediatric Settings
The Virginia Infection Prevention Training Center’s course on Infection Prevention & Control Strategies in Pediatric Settings focuses on infection prevention best practices and considerations that are unique to the pediatric patient population including newborns and is presented by Dr. Thomas Sandora, Hospital Epidemiologist at Boston Children’s Hospital and Associate Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. Topics include healthcare-associated infections impacting pediatric patients, including newborns in neonatal intensive care units, pediatric modifications to adult infection prevention strategies, and unique infection prevention considerations specific to pediatric patients, including newborns.
Target audience for this course are healthcare professionals who are or will be directly involved in infection prevention activities in their facilities. These are infection prevention professionals who have participated in and gained considerable knowledge through specialized infection and control training and have minimal to moderate practice or fieldwork experience with infection prevention and control concepts.
Audience examples: Advanced Beginner to Proficient Infection Preventionist, Advanced Beginner to Proficient HAI/AR/IPC staff, Novice to Proficient Healthcare/Public Health Epidemiologist, Infectious Disease /Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Pharmacist.
Overall Learning Objectives
- Discuss the epidemiology of healthcare-associated infections impacting pediatric patients, including newborns in neonatal intensive care units
- Describe pediatric modifications to adult infection prevention strategies
- Discuss unique infection prevention considerations specific to pediatric patients, including newborns
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing Education (CE) credit is available for this course. CE credit is available from January 1, 2024 to January 1, 2027. Once viewed, please visit the activity page to obtain your credit.
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Cleaning and Disinfecting Checklist
- Hand Hygiene Quiz (AAP & Project Firsline)