Introduction to Infection Prevention and Control
This course is part of our Foundational Course in Infection Prevention and Control. See below for links to other modules!
Presented by Barry Rittmann, MD, MPH, Introduction to Infection Prevention & Control provides an overview of healthcare-associated infection (HAIs) and infection prevention best practices. Designed for those just starting their journey in the field of infection prevention and control, topics include the impact of HAIs on our health system, the three most prevalent HAIs, proper precautions for mitigating risk of infection, core elements of an infection prevention program, and resources available to infection prevention programs.
Target audience for this course are healthcare professionals beginning their experience in infection prevention and control training and who have little to no practice in infection prevention and control concepts.
Audience examples: Novice infection preventionists, clinical healthcare professionals, and nonclinical healthcare leaders, such as environmental services managers, seeking foundational infection prevention and control knowledge.
Overall Learning Objectives
- Give an overview of healthcare-associated infectious diseases and how they impact our healthcare system in the United States as well as globally
- Describe the purpose of an infection prevention program and define its role within the healthcare system
- List the major types of healthcare-associated infections and define their impact on hospital settings
- Identify the core activities of an infection prevention program
- Compare individual, community, organizational, and government agency roles in infection prevention
Continuing Education Credit
Continuing education (CE) credit is available for this course from [date] to [date]. To claim credit, please watch this video in its entirety, then visit the VCU Continuing Medical Education [activity page] to obtain your credit.
VIPTC’s Foundational Course in Infection Prevention and Control
The Foundational Course in Infection Prevention & Control is designed for healthcare professionals who require focused education on beginner-level infection prevention and control (IPC) concepts. The goal of the course is to provide specialized training on fundamental infection prevention subjects including vaccines, hand hygiene, microbes, personal protective equipment, waste management, and cleaning/disinfection.